Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mid-week Meal: Mashed Potato Casserole

Yes you read that right! I know sounds a bit weird and in fact I wouldn't really class this as a casserole-which gets me to thinking: What makes a casserole a casserole?" Just googled the term and came up with this...

A casserole, from the French for "saucepan",[1] is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word casserole is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. In British English, this type of dish is frequently also called a bake, coinciding with the cooking technique used to cook casseroles.

Ok so maybe this is a casserole because it is cooked in a casserole!

Mashed Potato Casserole
Boil about 500g potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with 30g butter unitl smooth. Spread over the base of a lightly oiled baking dish(casserole).
Beat 2 eggs with 300ml cream. Add 1 cup grated cheese and 2 T fresh chives (I didn't have any this time so I used rosemary). Pour this mixture over potatoes. Bake at 180 degrees for about 40 mins or until top sets and is brown.
(Recipe from Australian Women's Weekly Potatoes)



I served this with pork chops, carrot and parsnip mash and beans...

2 comments:

  1. Oh YUMMMM! That looks amazing! It certainly is that time of year again, we are already having lots of warming soups and cheesy curry scones. Will def be baking your recipe tomorrow night, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried it, loved it - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm always interested to hear your feedback on my posts and enjoy finding new people to visit so please leave a comment.