Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mid-week Meal: A Duo of Soups

One night this week I made two soups. You see for the 2 males in my house soup on it's own does not constitute a whole meal...that is unless it contains some kind of meat. I had a recipe for Curried Potato soup (potato anything appeals to me!) that I wanted to try. So I made that and also a seafood chowder which I just made up.
Seafood chowder
Sautee onions, diced carrots, celery and potato. Add liquid chicken stock. Simmer until veges are tender. Add chopped seafood(I used shrimps, mussels and monkfish). Bring back to the boil and add some milk. As I don't really enjoy seafood I can't tell you what it tasted like but the boys and Na'uli really enjoyed it. Paula did say he thought monkfish might not have been the right choice as it wasn't quite 'fishy' enough.
Curried Potato Soup
This recipe is from Australian Women's Weekly Potatoes
30g butter
2 T oil
1 large brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1t garam masala
1/2t ground turmeric
1t ground cumin
1t ground coriander
800g potatoes, cubed
4cups chicken stock
1 1/2 cups water
1 medium brown onion, sliced
1/2 cup yoghurt
1. Heat butter and 1/2 oil in large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion softens. Add combined spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add potato, stock and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is tender. Cool for 10 minutes
2. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a small frying pan and cook sliced onion until brown and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
3. Blend or process soup until smooth. Divide among serving bowls and top with yogurt and crispy onions.

Sofia and I had this soup(Sofia had 3 servings!) and we both thought it was delicious. I would definitely recommend this. It was just spicy enough without being too hot and the yogurt(I used thick greek style yogurt) was perfect to add a little creaminess and sourness.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out my blog. I'm always interested to hear your feedback on my posts and enjoy finding new people to visit so please leave a comment.